Friday 4 January 2013

It's been awhile since

It has been a few months since I've inputted anything into this blog and things have been busy both in my creative and personal life. I have been to Glastonbury to witness their annual carnival which went well as expected, had a part in an exhibition at Didsbury Parsonage, started a collage project which involves collecting envelopes and cutting them into squares and then making mosaic/pixel collages..this project has had a few tumbles which are now getting ironed out, I got engaged and now at this moment..moving into a new house and organising a home studio.

Glastonbury:
I was invited to go on holiday with my then new boyfriend and now fiance to Glastonbury to attend the annual Carnival. I thought this carnival would be quite twee and wholesome but what transpired was a grand event of coloured lit-up trucks with costumed participents parading through the town.. As we had friends in living in town we went to their local pub to see the festivities, at the Samuel Beckett. We went to this pub quite a few times during our stay in town and had quite a good time there, they even had a book exchange which I promptly used. We had a meal at the Whodathoughtit?, I had a lovely deconstructed vegetarian Mushroom Wellington and spent a couple of hours at the George and Dragon which appeared on the Haunted Britain TV series hosted by Michaela Strachan.

We went to the Glastonbury Tor which is where I was proposed to, the Glastonbury Abbey and then to Chalice Wells where we drank the waters and bathed our feet in the foot spa; which was freezing may I add..but was lovely. We had a trip to Stonehenge on our way to Bradford upon Avon and a day to out in Ilfracombe to see Damien Hirst's new installation, Verity in the harbour there.














A few photographs of Glastonbury's Carnival 2012.

The day trip to Ifracombe was interesting though..I thought it was just down a motorway but was a one hour and a half trip to get there. We specifically went there to see Verity and have tea at Hirst's cafe/restaurant which we did. After a quick pint of local scrumpy in a bar and a little detective work, we made our way to the installation. It was still having some maintenance work but we made our way to one side and then moved around to the other more skeletal side to see which we both preferred. I liked both but had a thought that it was just placed there like an errant child would leave a toy soldier.

Don't get me wrong though..with all it's negative press and the media coverage with her on her back with a leg protuding in the air like a burlesque dancer, I quite liked the piece..very Ray Harryhausen in a Clash of The Titans kinda way. He seems to have got the spot really since he lives local (I think) and has his restaurant just around the corner..I had a pot of tea. I enjoyed the day out and welcomed the chance to go and see the much hyped installation.


Verity in the harbour, Ifracombe.

Disbury Parsonage Exhibition:

Since we had planned the trip to Glastonbury before the invite to participate in the exhibition, I spent a week trying to arrange transport of my two light boxes to Didsbury all to no avail though. Having been rejected for the Collagerie Exhibition and having two pieces available, I promptly arranged to have these sent via the postal service on the day that we made our way to Glastonbury..I even added a few other pieces in case they wanted some other work.

They showed the two other pieces at the show and on the last day of the show..me and my fiance made our way to Didsbury. There was some good work being shown specifically Emma Hardaker and Marcin Wozniak. The whole show was put on by John Lynch with Higgins and Renshaw curating. It was good being involved with a group show again and I quite enjoyed the whole experience, I just wished that I had shown my lightboxes though.


Piece for Didsbury Parsonage

New Work:

This is what I have been compelled to make in last month..I am working on a large A1 sized version of these collages..







Various Polaroids:








Glastonbury Abbey and Glastonbury Tor




Verity




Ilfracombe Harbour




Stonehenge




Yorkshire Sculpture Park Oct' 2012


















No comments: