Wednesday 10 March 2010

Response to Jonathon Miller

I was trusted enough by Hazel to borrow a book from her. The book is Nothing In Particular and is by critic/society commentator...Jonathon Miller. He uses a cheap automatic camera and documents street decollage and accidental natural/man-made urbanity art. After the Mock Presentation, Hazel recommended this guy to me and I've been trying to find his work and books. Silly me thought that this would've been two different people because I knew him as a social commentator but not as a photographer. She eventually lent me the book that I was searching for and I was pleasantly surprised with the text AND the beauty of the photography that was contained with it's pages.

I am so very interested in the scope of urban photography. Not as much with council estates, the working class and mundanity but with accidentals that are overlooked such as rust, brick and graffiti. I may concentrate on this line of work a lot more because at the moment I am getting confused on what direction to take. I like photography, painting and sculpture but I need to dip the metaphorical toe in the anime/film waters.

I have the basis of the piece of animation/film that I think will be the outcome of my first year but, I need to use the relevant software and practise. The computer that I am getting is an Apple Mac and I hope that I-Motion is on it. The film will be hand-rendered, found, collage and branded text and will have a soundtrack that will be hopefully made by me on an antique (1970's) Korg. A bit like the The First-Fifth Ladybird Picture Books made to loops and found sound...

No comments: