Saturday 2 April 2011

The Greatest Sin of All


A few weeks ago a fellow Manchester artist sent me an email about an up and coming one day exhibition/performance entitled The Greatest Sin of All. I was interested in exhibiting and it was at the Victoria Baths in Manchester, a beautiful building and also listed.. After research on the exhibition I discovered a compoany of art sellers/middlemen called QUDA and I submitted my piece and thought nothing of it until I recieved the affirmation.confirmation email, and that was that.

After a while and talking to members of my course who also submitted, I learnt that QUDA were the middlemen and I looked up SCHMUCKS Theatre Group, who are also Manchester based. I promptly did some investigating on the internet and read up on the group, I found Jo Gewirtz who is one of the founder members and we chatted on the phone about the background of the show.

On the Monday before the show which was yesterday 1st April, I met up with QUDA and the other artists who submitted and gave in my work. I met two artists who I only just knew from friends and had a good conversation about working together in the future and I had to leave.

What turns out is that the performance has 50 participents and lasts 2 hours with 20mins lasting at the exhibition side where it is free to entre. The show costs £5 and being a student and needing money, I couldn't afford to go on the 2hr tour/performance. I arrived too late to enter the tour anyways because of Uni work but I had a look at the exhibition.

I was pleaseantly surprised at the artwork, some sculptures, charcoals and collages where present as well as photographs and stuffed toys. The exhibits from fellow students looked ok and I missed the performance of Bex Wild who handed visitors cotton reels wrapped with strands of her own hair..

I am happy with the work that I produced for this show and it shows the maturity of the work that I am now producing. The maturity showing itself in the concept and in it's production.

No comments: