Sunday 6 October 2013

Visit to Rogue Studios

It was the Rogue Studios 'Open Studio 2013' weekender last week and I paid a visit on the opening night. My colleague Jenny Steele from Blackburn University's BA Fine Art team has a studio here and I wanted to visit her and to see her work. Also, I know a few artists such as Magnus Quaife, Liz West, David Griffiths, Helen Collett and Hilary Jack amongst others. It is an extensive studio complex around the back of Piccadilly Train Station and is located within a disused mill.

I have been here on several occaisions but only to private viewings at Malgras/Naudet which is run by Quaife and Collett. There are so many artists in these studios that you can shake a stick at. So many good works that I see have melded within one experience. A few artists/collectives have interested me such as OWL Projects and their natural materials with electronica and the colourful prints of Rob Bailey, Mike Chavez-Dawson's studio, seeing other people's studios such as Rob Dunne, Daniel Fogarty and Taneesha Ahmed.

I have tried to photograph some work and had a few stifled conversations with particular studio dwellers but had to leave after a couple of hours due to train times etc. They only have these open studios once a year and will await the next one.


No comments: