Saturday 17 May 2014

the local paper:the write up


Lancashire Telegraph 17May2014

Before I hung my work I emailed the local paper to create a little buzz and get some publicity for the show. I have had to fund, PR and promote the show. This is first solo exhibition and I am quite chuffed with it. The initial email indicated that I failed my GCSE Art at school and now have a degree. Between 1990 and 2012 I have managed to pass exams on Chemistry, Communications, Biology and other subjects, worked for six years within a textile mill where I had clients like Puma, Adidas, Marks and Spencer etc where I designed fabric and colours and worked within a PR and Marketing company illustrating for clients. but this was all surplus for requirement. They wanted to focus on not giving up and achievement. The right up is superb, it was a product of a telephone conversation and my personality shines through it.

The thing with the school angle is that I wasn't really allowed to do Art subjects as I 'wasn't talented enough' and was single out to do the Textiles subject. I learnt to work with batik, gutta, learnt to knot and to sew. I then studied Fashion Design at college level (which got me a job within the mill). I had slight ADHD because of a head injury as a young child so I was quite annoying and feel that I was sidelined quite a bit. But, hey-hum it all helped to develop character.

No comments: