Friday 18 June 2010

Laziness and new photos

I went to the No5 Balmoral Road gig last Friday and quite impressed with the general idea of giving a room to an artist in an empty house and having a whistle stop gallery/exhibition. The selectiveness/limited edition/for one night only is inspiring. Blink and you will miss it ethos.

I'm quite far away from the venue and it took two bus rides and a train journey to get there and I was pleased with the outcome of my efforts. The journey there was uneventful but phew...the way back was kind of a bonus for me and my new pet project. I recorded an Indian woman [doctor?] giving a speech on the 142 about the conspiracies of the medical-legal world (this is safed to my hardrive) and at the the train station, time being 11.10pm and the last train to dear old Blackburn, some vandals have smashed windows on the train and I've recorded a multitude of conversations. It's a little like Andy Warhol when he recorded whole conservations and had automons type them up for his book - A, a novel.

The vibe of the exhibition was in the party vein and quite social and a few of the second year students were in attendance. Once again, I couldn't find any of my year and Marcin volunteered to help out on the night.

I don't know any names but Adriano's or and Emily, a strikingly good looking girl. One room had fish as a theme with one motionless goldfish in the corner and another had a canopy of linen coloured knitted wool and looked very wonblike. Next door was a version of the ink-blot pyschology tester but these were very ethereal and dream-like. Adj's had a room with bluetacked nailed walls and floor. I couldn't enter the room because of the delicateness of the medium...it resembled the leather jackets of early eighties greasy Knebs. A pounced-wallflower-wallpaperesque of delicate means enveloped the walls and in the final room was my favourite bit, censored books that make poetry out of blanked out passages. Very well thought out and is very transposable.

The only criticism is that I thought the house and rooms would be of a more derelict nature and the house was very clean as not in the tidy sense but in Magnolia decor but yeah, this IS a house that is on the market for student living. When I put on my show, I'd like to xerox this idea of room per artist but...use a messier house.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your BLOG really interested to see not tired ~

[rough translation from igoogle]

thanks for the post...