Saturday 21 January 2012

Sculpture - Rietveld


The Red Blue chair


Model of Rietveld Joint.

On of the art movements that is close to my heart is the De Stijl movement. I love the architecture, furniture and especially the painterly aspect of the movement. I find it pure and simple but extremely stylish. In particular, the furniture by Gerrit Rietveld was shocking and thoroughly modern at the time of inception and his designs are still thought to be contemporary even by todays standards.

Rietveld made his demonstration of the joint he used in the construction of the Red Blue chair and some of his other early experimental furniture in the fifties. For me this jointing system is purely sculptural and will be the basis of my next off-the-cuff construction. I am going to construct a one foot high rendition of the above joint to show how the utilitarian aspects of furniture can be made into sculpture.

No comments: