Friday 23 July 2010

Bruno Bourel, Grant Hamilton and a whinge about PX6000Vo6


Bruno Bourel...taken from The Polaroid Book

Above is scanned from the [The Polaroid Book] and it contains at least 340 odd pages of Polaroid Fun. There are a lot to contend with here with too many artists and photographers to ponder over. Bruno Bourel interests me a great deal because I really think his compositions are extraordinary in the minimalism and how he frames and takes his shots. Because I have a Graphic Design background, I see the potential for other applications with this type of photography ethos. It's very filmic, painterly and has an advertising appeal.

Grant Hamilton appears within the book and he IS one of my icons in the photography/design sphere of creativeness. He is a lot like Bourel but is a lot more freer in his outcomes... I have stumbled upon Hamilton on the WWW.POLANOIR.COM website where photographers have a virtual gallery and sell polaroids to the public. You can buy their original snaps or copies of them. They have a place on the site where the process is explained and is photographed. On Hamilton's own site, the process is explained even further and now I am (I think) able to produce the three images that I need to do for the FFA2010 exhibition.

I have spoken to the printers and been given the quote for each print...£12- each, I am going to A2 size on Satin paper. Eventually I'll need to buy three sheets of A2 size clear perspex and that won't be fecking cheap. I am hoping on the sellable factor though...the price will be decided upon on a later date.........................

The Lucien Road marking [summer pro:ject] is going well and I have had a really good and encouraging response from an Art and Design Gallery/Company. They like my Road-Marking photographs and uploaded some polaroids upon their site (on Facebook), they are called [weareart]. They sound like a group of cool and fun guys so hopefully when time goes by, I may be able to have some exhibited.

RANT ABOUT PX6000VO6 AND THE PX600 SERIES IN GENERAL

I finally bought the new PX600Vo6 strand of [the impossible project] polaroid-esque film..I splashed out on three pack and got my silica gel pack, a postcard and the exhibition paper-thing.

I have put up the first eight shots that I have taken and I'm only happy with one of them...the Launderette Shot [8th attempt]. The temp was around the 18*C mark and in full daylight and the sky wasn't overcast. I used the One Flash and had taken the 600 series of cartridge. The camera was clean and is in full working order.

It pains me to say that at least 90 percent of the PX600FF snaps that are on the Polanoid website are now beyond use and are either full of the damp/crystalline patterns are either faded or have large areas of burnt orange splodges covering the pictures...I am just glad that I have them on here so that I can print them out on photographic paper, chop them up and have semi-polaroid photographs like I used to.

It is fine now that the Project people are giving away free the silica gel packs and telling us all to slice the back of the photographs and basically having us experiment until they get the right process working...I am just hoping now that the problems are now solved.

So, the Lucien Road-Markings project is taking up my time and the dalliance with Photo-Mechanical printers with whom I shall be working with closely next week will be the focus of my creative attentions. I have bought some really out of date Polaroids that have to be colour restored if they are gonna be useful and some new versions of the PX600 B+W films and if I am going to do some A3 size Lucien prints, these will have to be on some new colour [09] film.

No comments: