Tuesday 9 November 2010

Exhibition at Bzzz Gallery




The Time In Which Nothing Happens Has It's Purpose [Diptych] | Sonny Barker 2010

After passing a disused Jewellery Shop in Blackburn town centre, I noticed a hive of activity and lo! and behold, a gallery had sprung up. It was hosted by a Bristol Fine Art Graduate, Julia Swarbrick. I didn't really know Julia but I popped in to see what was happening and had a chat about art and the art scene in general. We talked for sometime and by sheer chance I had my portfolio of photographs with me. These photographs were fresh from the printers and I had twenty prints.

I showed her my style and she quite liked them. I had the Lucien Fellowes's Road-Side Markings Collection with me and she gave me a speech on how much my work resembled Fine-Art Photography instead of Photo-Realistic Photography. I was quite happy with this definition and it kind of pigeonholed my creative outpourings. She said that the next exhibition she's having would be one focused on Blackburn and being quite self-promotional, I asked her to involve my two stronger pieces into the show and she agreed.

The ones that I selected was the two that I had on show with the FFAF10 team and as these were professionally mounted and bespoked framed, I thought they'd stand out. The only trouble is that somehow the frames got scuffed [?] and I had to get them cleaned, but the work was essential.

I went to the preview evening and talked to some of the guests about the concept and the background information that holds the diptych together. Some people blinked and moved on but some guests enjoyed the tete a tete. There was a lot of different styles in the exhibition, some realism, paintings, inks and fine art and then some photo-journalism..but they all gelled together. A kind of compendium of art styles within a small cotton town..

so, the conclusion is that I was privileged to have been part of an exhibition in my hometown. I was cheeky enough to put up a front and get my work put up and I have had some exposure. The gallery owner has sent me an email confirming her eagerness to work with me again and I hope to be part of an exhibition in the very near future.

1 comment:

hazel said...

Good networking..