Tuesday 10 August 2010

exhibitions

The Free For Arts Festival has fallen through and I'm not happy about it at all. This bloke from this shop has left and his replacement has given the organisers a hefty £1000 bill. So it is off and we need a place to exhibit. I wanted a chance to show off some work in `manchester' but with half the people on the course not interested in doing anything for it, the organisers are not that keen. We have to involve [outsiders] to pump up the numbers but with being on an ART course, you'd think they would be MORE interest.

So it is OFF, for now.

After going to Beatherder and meeting a graffiti artist, I have landed a lush place at another exhibition in Burnley called [Start From Scratch] which is essentially a Graff-Street Art festivally kind of thing. It was a really good piece of accidental networking and with the powers of FaceBook, we tracked each other down. He is part of a large collective of creatives and this may be the foot in the door that I really need.

I am showing three reprints of my Polaroids enlarged to A2 size and displaying a few of the originals. I am then hopefully be selling other smaller reprints to recoup my costs. I'll sell the A2 reprints for at least £25-£30, which is pretty cheap really for original art, they'll cost £13- to print [each]. There is authentic excitment here on my part, I have a theory and concept that is being ironed free from wrinkles and will BE developed even further.

The concept is in a nutshell that we bypass mini pieces of interesting compositions in the world and consider what we fail to see as just mudane and uninteresting ephemera. I have always found beauty in what is walked past and not notice. It may be the spiritual side of me or just the creative thinker...I dunno, but... We were (as mentioned below) given an assignment for the Summer and I have chosen to concentrate on this ROAD-SIDE MARKINGS idea and it is really paying off.

No comments: