Thursday 3 November 2011

Ceramics II

So my first foray into ceramics wasn't exactly successful.. The maquettes weren't even fired yet and was only drying out before being fired. The fell apart at each junction. What I didn't do was not make/use any slip and not enough 'worms' to gel the pieces together and this was the reason for the cracking and falling apart.

It is a learning curve and this is my first attempt at ceramics in some time and we can't all find success at the first hurdle. I stuck around the workshop for a few hours and made two more maquettes, one about the same size as the last and another smaller one. Hopefully this time they will stick and become kiln ready.

I have started some research but hands-on is the best way forward. You can read Wikipedia and other sites until you're blue in the face but getting the sleeves rolled up and having clay under your fingernails (and having 'some' knowledge) is the key.

No comments: