Friday 28 May 2010

spread thinly for economy

It's the time of year for exhibitions and end of the year shows and I am going to go to as much as I can. I need the contacts, see who is about and what they are doing.

There's the Mill24 24-hour exhibition that has performance art, installation, music, etc starting up tomorow and I really need to go to this one. It's basically a collection of artists from my Uni, Manchester School of Art, doing there many splintered thang and well, hopefully bump into others from my course.

Then at the weekend,I have a gig to go to on Friday and on Saturday, 8 day & Rogue Exhibition in Piccadilly featuring quite a lot of people and should keep a Saturday entertained...maybe invite Andrea [?].

The third years are having there exhibition on 18 June and I have invited myself to help at their shindig...I do NEED to do this because well, it'll be my turn very soon and I want to have a look at their work. It IS near my birthday and a nite in MCR is planned.

The second years have a one night only show at a unoccupied terraced house in the middle of [I don't know where-but is going to fid it] entitled, No5 Balmoral. There is a handful of them doing this and its is very site specific, something that really interests me and is where my work is taking me.

The thing is, I do really like this idea and if it isn't classed as plagarism, I want to explore further because I do know of certain people on my course who would hugely benefit doing this kind venue/exhibition. My light in particular would look fantastic in a small box-room/bedroom, in the dark with slats of lights and just with a humming-fridge-detuned TV/radio-static noise. The idea sends shivers to my solar-plexus as I think of it. Picture the scene, flaky plaster/paint, dampness, detrius on the flooring and a sense of foreboding...ooh-errr.

Hopefully, I'll be invited to the Blackburn degree show that incorporates the Foundation year, Graphic people and other degreey people. I can meet up with past comrades and have a good blether.

Beatherder is on early in July and with all the time me and Andrea are going to put in, we should be up and running to play one or two sets at the campsite. I've come up with some good music and she is writing and learning new words...re-imagining of old songs are required though.

No comments: