Tuesday 25 May 2010

Visit to a Camera Club

Last night I visited Blackburn and District Camera Club to have a looksee at what they have got to offer. There was a meeting of sorts with other clubs around Blackburn and a inter club contest was the main attration. At first a photographer (digital collagist more like) was givng a lecture about his work and entering competitions aroud the world. His work comprised of lots of manipulations, editing and pieces of photographs mingled within each other. I didn't really like his work, I consider it cheating with all the jiggering and pokering that he does. Overseas judges are none the wiser with maniluated scenes but...it tends be tacky.

I went to their exhibition at the BBC Radio Lancashire building in the town centre and well... I do need to have interactions with other peolpe who consider themselves photographers and the like and the sociability factor may be advantageous to me and my work. I have left Uni and will need some focus during the months that I have off.

There was a guy I met who is from the Preston Camera Club and he and the Club are having a lecture by Leigh Preston at a place with a bar in July so I might make it there,

Overall, it was like going to Methodist meeting (they were only about 4-5 younger guys there) but it was alright I suppose. Next week is off so I'll go to the next one. I have three weeks to decide and then it is either pay £35 for the half year or take a hike. I have until 2 June to give a selection of portraits for a little competition the club is having.

No comments: