Tuesday 26 October 2010

I have a plan and I am sticking to it..[.]

We had the third year two meeting today and it was the second one that I have attended. We talked about about a lecture that I personally didn't attended concerning Public Art and Social Engineered Art. This is the kind of ArtScene that I am very much interested in and I know a few buzz words and artists such as Richard Sera and more specific, Victor Pasmore.

Pasmore is a huge influence upon my work but of course, I don't xerox him. I am taken with his collages, screen-prints and his use of minimal colour and concepts. He designed a whole council estate in the north called Peterlee, the tower blocks and the communal areas. This council still exists today and has [evolved] over time by weather, rthe public and time itself. Well, just consider it an evolutionary piece of art.

This is the concept that I am wholey excited by. I am planning on designing a range og evironmental/constructivist sculptures and placing them in various areas of the town such as a housing estate, on the moorland and somewhere secluded to test the amount of wear and tear of what environment is capable of. But of course, I digress...

The meeting threw up several points, some valid and some periphral. I took a mental note of what interested me and side-lined others and all of a sudden, the meeting took a turn into the [JOURNAL] sphere. This was interesting up to a point and then...

I have now decided on what I want to achieve for the final bit of the SHELTER pro:ject. This was only supposed to be a four week affair, cumulating to a show and tell afterwards. The good point of this excercise was that it is short-lived and at the presentation, we don't get to speak up about what we have done.

I am designing several collage based on the vision of half demolished and derelict houses. I am intrigued by the colours, wallpapers and the lives of the ex-inhabitants of this skeletal remains and I hope this shows in what I have produced...photoghraphs will arrive soon.

No comments: