Saturday 23 October 2010

Liverpool Biennial

Thursday the 21st, October was the grand school outing. Had to get to the coach by 9am that was waiting at Uni and of course, I got there late, about 9.30 was the time I got there. I had to catch a train from Blackburn tho at 8am and would've got me to Manchester for 8.45 but of course, the plans of mice and men and all that... The coach took us past the giant head that stand by the motorway not unlike Warrington's own self-styled Angel Of The North. I once saw a documentary about the commission, construction and opening of this sculpture on the television over two years ago...I'd like to of gone up and seen the construct in flesh though but time is an enemy on days like these. I didn't really get a good look at it but i'm sure it's impressive though.

Getting into Liverpool took its toll. It is a city after all and we were just coming out of commuter traffic but, we were scheduled to go past the [Turning the Place Over] by Richard Wilson. I have heard and seen reports and images about this feature and not really heard of Richard Wilson so I haven't got anything to compare this work to. It is quite immense though in a understated way. One can imagine the passers-by and the office workers quickly getting used to the work and being tickled by that fact that a group of adults were gawping at the circular piece cut masonry going in and out and round and round. The cutting of the piece is very precise and continues through the workspace inside the building. It was very impressive but as the coach was parked within the city, we had to move on.

The coach dropped us all off at the Walker Art Gallery and there was an exhibition of the John Moores Painting Prize 2010 happening but as we are penciled in for the Liverpool Biennial for the day, I had to give it a miss. I am going back to Liverpool either this week or next week, so I'll give it some consideration.

I found myself outside Lime Street Station and after tidying myself up, and by this time I found that I was Lone-Wolfing it again, I quickly scanned the map and made my way to Renshaw Street where the Futurist Cinema is located and the main exhibition space that is 52 Renshaw Street. It's only a short walk, and I find Liverpool less labyrinthine than Manchester, I approached the The Futurist Cinema which is a boarded up ex picture house. It has painted on it's facade, [think about the future]which is the work of Emese Benczur. I don't know much about her work but after reading the guide to this years event, I plan to do some amount of research on her work. I gather that she is concerned with time and self, but I may be wrong. I took a Polaroid of this cinema and I will upload it onto here when time permits.

No comments: