Saturday 14 May 2011

blankspace-the cell

Well..it was time to attend another exhibition at blackspace in Manchester again last Saturday. I have attended numerous affairs at this prestigious gallery and enjoyed several of them. I exhibited here myself earlier in the year and now feel a kinship with the place and it's team. The event was called SwitchCircuit and occurred throughout Saturday night from 6pm until 6am. It was the first time I have been to overnight exhibition for some time and went with trepidation.

I thought the show would be like a regular event but was surprised and relieved with the concept and Cube-like socio-geographicalness of it all. It was like a regular exhibition insofar that each cubicle and room was assigned to artists but the work had a fluidity and form that each room was symbotic with each other. It was very digital led and corresponded with the Transmediale aspect of art.

When entering the gallery phone numbers were exchanged and we was led to a holding cell with other visitors. We had to wait until a text was sent from an unknown person and then summoned to various cells. The cells was in such an order that confusion governed the proceedings. Each Cell had different technological concepts within them and some worked better than others. The one that I enjoyed most was the cell whre a mobile phone had to be rung and then chaos reined for a set of time. I stayed in here and played the game a few more times.

Each cell had tgeir merits and I stayed here for a few hours. I enjoyed the drink and the social aspect of the exhibition. The show will be on for some time now and should be visited.

No comments: