Sunday 29 May 2011

Songs in A and E



I have just found another favourite album, one that I have ignored for such a long time. I have been a fan from a distance of Spiritualized since Spaceman 3 imploded and I have many of their early material but this album is so pure and life-affirmingly great it is untrue.

The guy wrote the material a few years before his double pneumonia nearly killed him twice and then through recovery, he worked and then released the album. Songs in A and E contains Sweet Talk, Death Take Your Fiddle, the sublime Soul on Fire and personal favourite Baby I'm Just a Fool. There are still the Velvet Undergroundesque tracks such as You Lie You Cheat and the Stonesish track I Gotta Fire but these just augment the Gospel and horns of a particularly good record.

It stands in stead with Electric mainline and Ladies and Gentleman We Are Floating in Space but leaves the drones and electronic experiments of it. The songs do have a good run through and feels very personal and resonates with a joy of life. I don't know if my brush with death through heart failure and his brush with it gives me a certain connection with the material both lyrically and musically but I feel very emotional with every hearing. This is one of my favourite albums of all time and may just have booted one of it's competitors from a position in my top ten.

No comments: