Saturday 14 May 2011

Show at the Cavendish


It is now the nearing the end of Year Two in the Interactive Arts calender and some students decided that they neede to put a show on. This maybe due to the first years attempt and the realisation that a show wasn't being placed on the dinner table, so to speak. The show was brought under the umbrella title of Creative Transit which was used back in October for the Free For Arts Festival 2010. I designed the logo and such and felt I should be involved. I already had my fair share of exhibitions and art auctions but thought that this would bookend the year for me.

I 've exhibited photography and sculptures but wanted to work with graphic design again and to bring my minimalist/sculptural ethic to the medium. I am influenced by the Japanese aspect of design and colourplay and wanted to reign in my more abstract ideas to bring to the fore more conceptual ideas.

With reading up on mantra both Tibetan/Buddhist and self-help, I went back to a phrase that I used last year..Consider Myself A Failure Only I Could. This is probably my first main person piece of work that I have ever produced and I do think it is more art based than just experimental-bridge work. The phrase should be repeated until the syntax sorts itself out and becomes more evident in structure.

The original piece in A6 and uses Letterpress and inked Mylar sheeting that I found in the bin. The two pieces were then brought together and then scanned. The resulting scan was then tidied up and brightened and then printed out on A1 paper. It was a little lonely and needed another attachtment so I printed it again onto A1 tracing paper and the piece was finalised. I have constructed the exhibit to give a seemingly subconscious effect. I really like this piece and feel I have matured in my creative practise.

No comments: