Thursday 15 October 2009

books

Just finished reading Chuck Palahniuk's Rant and Choke. I tend to read books in tandem, gives it a little bit of a challenge... Rant was great, in a nutshell. The was about Buster 'Rant' Casey, a degenerate from the south who invented a car smashing game called Party-Crashing and who was addicted to rabies and other vector diseases.

The idea that I've pulled from the book was the phrase LIMINAL TIME. A time within time that is both lived and felt. I think it means, in layman terms, when real time stops and personal time begins. Such when your in church, looking at a work of iconic art or when your making love.

Well, Choke was a different concept but Palahniuk brought forward slices of religious lunacy into it. It is now a movie so I'll work out how to watch it. The guy wrote The Fight Club which is another stunner of a read and thinking now, that introducing the concept of Liminal Time. This phrase needs looking up..,I'm sure it has some Minimalist ring to it.

Susan Sontag, On Photography is the book that I have now started. It was in the reading list at university but I'm involved artistcally in this genre so its no bad deal.

Got to look up Martin Parr's work. I know it's a little obvious but he's a British Pop Artist (I think) so yeah...his work commeth.

No comments: