Tuesday 7 February 2012

Moment | an exhibition



I was invited to contribute towards an exhibition within the Link Gallery at the Manchester School of Art and I accepted the offer. The main points of the show was to focus on the moment and take on what the moment meant to the artist. I decided to elongate the defination of the moment and make it drag on for enternity.

For this, I began to construct a wall piece that would hold a twelve inch copper plate and then paint live yoghurt on it. I then started to develop verdi-gris through the bacterial contamination. I had achieved this sometime before and took this opportunity to experiment with it further.

I have been told to use blood, urine and live yoghurt because they contain the sufficient media such as a biological agent that would eat away at the metal and they will create the verdi-gris. I have tried dog urine but that takes a long time and a lot of devotion to the cause and blood, frankly scares me.

The piece that I have made for the Link looks quite clean and presentable instead of the usual bricolage that I end up making and I'm really proud of the finish. The work will evolve over time and turn a rather nasty shade of green. It is well placed within the gallery and gets plenty of sun.

No comments: