Monday 10 January 2011

A.N.D. at the CUBE Gallery




These photographs have been standing on my hard drive for a while. They are part of the Attach Normal Devices exhibition that happened at the fantastic and always delivering gallery, C.U.B.E. on Princess Street Manchester. It is actually an ambition to have my work shown there as part of a group or as a solo outing. They put on shows that are generally socio- related and are very architectural in there philosophy. CUBE is an acronym for Centre for the Urban Built Environment..it would be an ideal place for my braille mosaic.

This particular exhibition was quite different, very science-based, sort of pseudo-psychological. They had concepts for unisex menstrual machines, ideas on phantom limbs and the money shot was the whisky that was made from diabetic Scottish pensioners urine. The colour of the liquor deepens with the concentration of sugar in the sufferers system. What is ironic for me though is that I couldn't partake within the tasting as I have quite a severe take on Diabetes Type 2..my blood levels are in the range of 10-18 so therefore is untouchable.

There is an arguement that the exhibits that were on show was art or just concepts of scientific origin albeit of biological and as stated above, psychological subject matter but that is the power of the [GALLERY]. This particular gallery shows exhibits that question personal judgements to what we conceive as art. I, for one, enjoy the more graphic-design, abstract and minimal side of art and would class a lot of what I saw as art. In particular MOUSETRAP TABLE and the concept for the UNDERGROUND BUNKER had a design element to them but that opens the old wound of [Is Design Art?] and yeah, it certainly is sonny-jim.

A set of photographs of ex-servicemen with phantom limbs may not have the beauty of a Caravaggio but I feel the concept and the undertaking of the project had a certain elegance. They had a certain element of poise and respect which was evident at the gallery and in total opposite, we had the silver astronaut chair. This chair had a playful sense of curiosty and with the artist present, demonstrations were available. I say that they were different only in presentation and delivery.

In all, I find the subject matter of AND thought-provoking and will certainly be remembered. I have already used osmosis in that I have attached some of there ideas within my consciousness. I have began my own research within the scientific/creative realm and already constructing what I hope will be my next work.

No comments: