Thursday 20 January 2011

slash and burn





After the unveiling and then subsequent conversations later about my piece, I felt slightly dejected and uninspired. I know the piece was okay and had the intellectual backing but being too self critical at the best of times, I decided to destroy what I had made and [remake-remodel]..as the modern mantra suggests. The structure is too boxed for my liking and needs to be be more humanist. The original design was based on the segments of the spinal column and felt to me as too literal. I took a knife and began to stab at where I thought slabs should be cut off and then patched up with gum-strip and repainted.

As this is just a working model, it is subject to alterations and appendages. I do want to build a large structure out of heavy material such as wood, plastic or concrete and after new research and experimentation, I might achieve what I am setting out to construct. In all essence though, what I am trying to achieve is a large free standing piece of public art that will be utilised by the general public and eventually become part of the immediate surroundings.

No comments: