Monday 10 January 2011

new reading material

As with the Selected late Essays by Clement Greenberg that I need to get through, The History of Shit by Dominique Laporte has just this morning arrived, this needs to be started in a double -quick stylee. This book has been on my to read list for the last 12 months and I haven't been able to get a copy the normal way and thanks to Amazon, I have a fresh copy sent to me from Staten Island..NY. I have started it and read through the Introduction and feels like an important addition to my creative pysche.

I am interested in what is considered the throwaway and how society deals with what it doesn't want or need anymore. At the moment, I am catalogueing garbage, trash and ruins and trying to find a philosophical answer within the realms of humanity. What I am focusing on is what is left in the street, thrownaway objects and dereliction, both human and architectural.

The History of Shit was part of the reading list that we were given last year and I have had tried to find a copy and then forgot. The reason it came to my attention was that we had lectures about The Life of Objects and only had a few pages to read, I need to track down more reading material though. Although we have a four thousand essay to write next term about 'The Formal Qualities of Hollywood Cinema', The final dissertation is hankering over my head as the gist of what we are going to write about is coming in May-June?? As I am focusing on Socio-Geographical Art..and Spatial Concepts, I need to pull my finger out.

No comments: