Saturday 22 January 2011

names


Mark Boyle



Walker Evans

Been given two names to look into by two different guys..Walker Evans and Mark Boyle are the two names that will be researched into. I already know of Evans's work, he worked in the Depression era/DustBowl parts of the Usa and photographed street scenes, portraits and the famouse working mother that has been copied many times. The only similarities with mine and Evans's work though is the capturing of the mudane street scenes and the Road-Side Markings project that I am filling my time with.

Mark Boyle is another kettle of fish altogether. He predominatley worked with light-shows in the pyschedelica era of the sixties but he worked with sculpture and focusing on road markings. he used a variety of material such as epoxy and fibreglass etc to replicate his photography.
A famous quote of his on his work ethic and technique is "(it) involves lifting the movable material on each site and holding it in the same shape until we can back it with a precise presentation of what lay underneath (i.e. the immovable material). In some cases the presentation is microscopically accurate". So in essence, he retains the original materials such as fag dimps, detritus and other matter in the final sculptures. As he is quite a new name to me I will have to seek books on him and study his work. I like to think that I work the opposite way to him..I seem to cleanse the area before I take the photographs of the markings. To me, it is not the reality that is important..it is the compositions that I focus on..

No comments: