Thursday 13 January 2011

site-specific

So I am back at Uni and on Tuesday, we was a given a one week project to do. The umbrella title is Site-Specific and after being warned from a friend in the year above..I have been thinking what I want to do with it. Of course when the information is given out, plans fall by the road-side... My plan is too adventurous and is being shelved for an up and coming installation piece..news at eleven.

I have two ideas that I am working with..I want to either create a cardboard (then eventually wood/metal) sculpture and place it within the Library..we have been given a constricting map..barriers etc. It is based on PCB and the silver mapping system that are evident on the back where synapses travel, this should link in with the site-specific idea but abd this is a big BUT..a bit of a gamble, carry on with the sculpture and have the mega expensive 6 foot by 10 foot piece done for the end of year or go with the Oblique Stratagies idea.

The Oblique Stratagies is the brainchild of Brian Eno who concieved a card game based on truisms..I like the riddle aspect of this. I have made my own truism/oblique stratagies that goes like this...

ONLY I COULD CONSIDER MYSELF A FAILURE.

And will be read as thus:

consider myself a failure.
only I could

It will be made from Scrabble tiles and be cemented near or in the library. I will be using epoxy resin and will be permamnent. It then will only make sense when the sentence is read in a mantra style, being repeated until the sentence has it's logical course and the syntax is corrected.

No comments: