Wednesday 12 January 2011

book

After meeting up with ex Interactive Arts student, Jane Samuels, at the gallery where I had my last show, I bought a book from her and had a chat about how she came about in getting the book published. I really admire her work and there was a rapport between us. Her work is like mine in little ways where we try to focus on Texture, architecture and dereliction.

The book company she is with is an internet company called BLURB. [ www.blurb.com ] It is a self-publisking website where anybody can formulate and publish their own book. It can be on anythingthing and maybe of some use during dissertation etc. I went on the site and down;loaded the BOOKSMART package that is part of the blurb process and now on my way to finalising the book.

The book that I am publishing is called ACCIDENTAL COMPOSITIONS : Road-Side Markings and is going to be part of a series of Accidental Compostions that will focus on street decollage, dereliction and others. I'll need to write a convincing introduction for the book but its largely going to be a visual essay. Not unlike sections from The Ways Of Seeing by John Berger and the book on decollage by Jonathan Miller.

I am going to sell copies and have already amassed a few interested parties, friends and family and also associates but I want to focus on the art shops like MAGMA, FRED ALDOUS and others. They'll need to retail at around the £15 bracket if I'm going to get any return but I just want to put my name out and get on the creative/published artist ladder.. I'll give them free if it means I'll get exposure and gigs but I can't be too naiive.

No comments: